Effective Use of the SDQ Clinical Assessment Tool
This course explores how to effectively use and apply the clinically recognised Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) to transform the culture of emotional assessment within your setting.
The SDQ is a clinically recognised emotional and behavioural screening questionnaire (which can be used with all ages, both children and adults).
There are versions for the parent/carer to complete, the child/adult and the school to complete.
It is concise and easy to use.
It gives a score which indicates when difficulties may be present.
Research has shown that it is a reliable and valid tool.
The form has 5 separate sub scales for different aspects of problems or behaviours some positive others negative:
- Emotional problems
- Conduct (Behaviour) Problems
- Hyperactivity (Inattention)
- Prosocial Behaviour
The scores are added together to produce a total overall stress score.
The questionnaire then asks for the impact of the behaviour to be rated to determine whether it is chronic, how much distress it causes, the level of social impairment and the burden to others.
The information gathered will be used as:
- An indicator to track the levels of difficulties the individual is experiencing and any improvements that are made
- A guide for putting in place the appropriate support services
Outcome: Empowered to use the SDQ to shift your setting’s culture of emotional assessment to become more holistic and follow best practice guidelines.
- Wednesday 19th January 2022 – 7pm to 9pm
- Saturday 11th June 2022 – 9am to 11am
- Thursday 1st September 2022 – 9am to 11am